Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lincoln Gallery in Pilsen

Assignment- Go see the 200 Lincolns gallery in Pilsen for extra credit at the Chicago Art Department.

I arrived at the gallery at about 7:00.  There was music being played (I think it was coming from the balcony) and the room was filled with a bunch of people.  They appeared to be having a good time.  Abraham Lincoln scattered the walls everywhere!  You couldn't escape his presence.  Lincoln artwork clung to the ceiling and the sides of walls.  I think I even saw someone dressed as Lincoln walking around.
My favorite piece was a simple one.  It was a five dollar bill that was plastered to a wall with a plain frame around Lincoln's portrait.  The piece was small (the size of a $5 bill...because it was a $5 bill) and very unfussy.  I liked it because of its uncomplicated nature and modest beauty.
All the works of art were pretty awesome.  If I had to pick one that I didn't particularly like, it would have to be the one where Lincoln's profile of the right side of his face is shown.  His face was completely covered in blackness against a whiteish background.  I guess I didn't find it very interesting because there really wasn't much going on in the piece--it didn't capture my attention.  I take that back, it did catch my attention but only for a second.  Then I walked away.
Overall, I really enjoyed seeing Lincoln in so many different settings.  All of the pieces that I saw were interesting (even the profile piece)!

No comments:

Post a Comment